Frequently Asked Questions

In order for us to check your suitability as a tenant we will require confirmation of the following:

Confirmation of employment
Bank account, savings and/or audited company accounts if you are self-employed
Evidence of your previous address from your landlord or mortgage company, supported by utility bills
Bankruptcy, CCJs, insolvency
Current passport and visa (Your visa must be valid for the length of the proposed tenancy period)

The Tenancy deposit protection law was introduced on 6 April 2007 to ensure that tenants are able to recover their deposit from their landlord or letting agent at the end of the tenancy, less any amount that the landlord/agent is entitled to withhold.
Central Properties use Mydeposits insurance-based deposit protection scheme. This is where we keep hold of the deposit and pay a fee to Mydeposits to protect it.
Please contact the office on 0113 2781188 to discuss the renewal request.
Please contact the office on 0113 2781188. You will be required to either pay all rent owed up to the end of the tenancy or find a suitable alternative replacement tenant to take over your lease. This is known as a Tenancy Assignment.
Once you've given notice to vacate we will look to remarket the property with intention of finding a new tenant to move in after you've gone. Closer to the vacate date you will be contacted to arrange a checkout inspection with either a member of Central Properties or an external inventory clerk.
We aim to contact all outgoing tenants within 10 working days after you have vacated the property. However, this may take longer during peak student changeover periods i.e. July and August.
You are not permitted to change the tenants or occupiers without the consent of the landlord. The landlord will consider a request based on the ability for the proposed applicant's ability to meet the financial commitment and on the basis that there is no breach of the terms of the tenancy. The proposed applicant will be required to undertake a full reference.

What is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy?
An Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) is the most commonly used residential tenancy in England and Wales. It is a form of assured tenancy with limited security of tenure, which was introduced by the Housing Act 1988. They are typically used for tenancies between 6 - 12 months although there is no statutory minimum or maximum requirements for an AST duration. A joint AST is where multiple applicants have signed a single tenancy agreement together, such as groups of students.
Following the expiry of a fixed term, the tenancy agreement continues on the same contractual terms as before but it becomes, what is known as, a periodic tenancy.
The period is determined with reference to the frequency that rent is due. For example if you pay the rent on a monthly basis, one period would be one month. This only applies to Assured Shorthold Tenancies and Assured Tenancies.
'Section 21 Notice to Quit', operates under section 21 of the Housing Act 1988, is the notice a landlord can give to a tenant to regain possession of a property at the end of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST). The landlord is able to issue the tenant with a section 21 notice without giving any reason for ending the tenancy agreement. A landlord has the legal right to retain possession at the end of a tenancy but must follow the correct legal procedure, which includes serving a section 21 notice.
Please check the Tenant Welcome Pack provided to you when you collected keys at the start of the tenancy. Should you require another copy please email
Please check the Tenant Welcome Pack provided to you when you collected keys at the start of the tenancy. Should you require another copy please email
Please navigate to the "Report a Repair" section of the website and follow the dropdown instructions. If you are reporting emergency maintenance please contact the office immediately on 0113 2781188.
In the event of power failure you should first check your fuse board to see if any of the switches are in the off position. If they are, then try resetting them to the on position.

Should this fail, then please unplug any electrical items that might be causing the fault and try to reset the fuse board switches again. If the problem persists and you are satisfied that all electrical items have been unplugged, then please contact the office on 0113 2781188.
All light bulbs within your property (including those in appliances) and their replacement are your responsibility. Those in the common areas are ours. If you are unable to replace bulbs, we can arrange for one of our suppliers to do this work for you, this will be chargeable.
Please check the Tenant Welcome Pack provided to you when you collected keys at the start of the tenancy, alternatively please email
For out of hours emergencies please contact the office on 0113 2781188 where you will be redirected to the appropriate maintenance contractor.
If you have lost your keys for the safety and security of your property and your neighbours, you must contact the office as soon as possible. We also suggest that you contact your own contents insurers as some policies cover the cost of lost or stolen keys.
Click here for the link to Leeds City Council's information on refuse collection and recycling information.
Please visit Leeds City Council's website.
No. We recommend tenants provide their own contents insurance. This is also stated in your Tenancy Agreement.
So we can provide a positive environment for all our tenants, we do not generally permit pets in our properties.